Monique Westra - Canadian Artist


We welcome Monique Westra as a Canadian artist to our website.

ARTIST STATEMENT

I am a Calgary-based artist who loves to paint pets on commission.  Each portrait in oil on canvas depicts a specific dog or cat cherished by its owners. Many are posthumous images which preserve the memory of a beloved furry family member. These realistic portraits are small and intimate representations of a recognizable pet set against a fanciful, abstract background. A distinctive and eye-catching background is the hallmark feature of my signature style. In this way, I combine realism and abstraction. I use careful observation and precision to capture the individuality of your pet and I use a more imaginative approach to create varied and colourful backgrounds, often lively and patterned. However, if this is not your preference, I can do a more neutral, single colour or a landscape background. 

Another passion of mine comes from my experience as an art historian and curator. I make faithful copies of famous works of art. I have reproduced in oil on canvas works by Canadian artists like Emily Carr, Marion Nicoll, Edwin Holgate and Suzor-Coté as well as French 19thcentury masters like Cézanne, Mary Cassatt and most recently, Pierre Bonnard. I work largely on commission. 

 

Monique Westra - Canadian Artist Page


 

Comments